Sausage and Garbanzo (Chickpea) Soup
Bursting with Mediterranean flavors, this sausage and garbanzo (chickpea) soup takes only ten minutes of preparation and 20 minutes to cook. What makes this soup so tasty? Two things. Spanish sausage is the first. I used chorizo de Bilbao. A little goes a long, long way. Combine that with lots of tomatoes and good quality broth and the soup is a feast.Best with crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 100 grams ground pork
- 100 grams Spanish sausage chorizo packed with paprika is best, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 cup cooked garbanzos (chickpeas) (if using canned, rinse and drain well)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups bone broth preferably homemade
- 1 handful spinach
- Heat the olive oil in a pot.
- Saute the garlic, onion and oregano.
- Add the ground pork, diced bell peppers and sliced sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the ground pork is lightly browned.
- Add the garbanzos.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and broth. Stir. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach. Simmer for another five minutes.
- Taste the soup and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve the sausage and garbanzo soup hot.
Save on Pinterest
When you have a soup this rich and chunky, all you need are a few slices of crusty bread to make a totally satisfying meal. It’s that filling? Try having a large bowl of this soup and see if you don’t feel full. Of course, you can have just a small bowl and treat it as a starter course.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!