SPAM Mini Open-faced Sandwiches
Lightly toasted bread topped with SPAM slices cooked a la musubi, and garnished with mango-arugula salad. Serve SPAM mini open-faced sandwiches as a snack or finger food.
- Cut the SPAM into about 1/3-inch thick slices.
- Cut the bread into the same size and shape as the SPAM slices.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan.
- In the hot oil, lightly brown the SPAM slices on both sides.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the SPAM slices. Pour in the soy sauce. Cook, flipping the SPAM slices over after a minute, until they have absorbed the soy sauce and the sugar has caramelized.
- Make the salad by roughly chopping the mango and arugula. Toss together with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Lightly toast the bread on both sides in an oil-free frying pan.
- Assemble the mini open-faced sandwiches. Place a slice of SPAM on each piece of bread. Top with a heaping teaspoonful of the mango-arugula salad. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve SPAM mini open-faced sandwiches with your favorite drink.
Original SPAM is ideal. There are no flavors that can clash with the soy sauce and sugar. If using flavored SPAM, you will likely need less soy sauce OR sugar, or both.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.