I'm not a fan of frosting that's taller than the cupcake. I don't like boiled icing either. But self-frosting Nutella cupcakes, I so love. Easy to make too!
- 140 grams butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 9 to 12 heaping teaspoons Nutella (see notes after the recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl. With a wire whisk or a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together. Just keep beating until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture and mix. The mixture may appear lumpy at first but keep right on mixing until you have a smooth batter. Note that the batter will be heavy and hardly pourable. Stir in the vanilla.
- Meanwhile, line the muffin pan with paper cups. Use an ice cream scoop (very practical) to fill the pans until about ¾ full.
- Top with a heaping teaspoonful of Nutella. Take a toothpick, dip into the unbaked cupcake until the tip hits the bottom of the pan.
- Using a scooping motion, swirl the Nutella with the batter so that some of the batter comes up on top of the Nutella.
- Bake in a preheated 325F oven for exactly 18 to 20 minutes (see notes after the recipe).
- Serve warm.
The amount of Nutella you will need and the exact length of baking time depends on the capacity of the holes of the cupcake / muffin pan.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.