Pasta with Bacon and Spinach Cream Sauce
I boiled some fettuccine, fried some bacon then tossed the pasta and bacon with a heaping tablespoonful of spinach cream sauce (that came be made ahead and stored). What a stupendous pasta dish it turned out to be. And it took so little time to get everything together too.
For the spinach sauce
To complete the dish
- 50 grams fettuccine or your preferred pasta shape
- 2 rashers belly bacon roughly chopped
Save on Pinterest
Make the sauce
- Unless using baby spinach which has very tender stalks, I recommend picking the spinach leaves and discarding the stalks. Rinse the spinach leaves after picking.
- Boil about four cups of water.
- Dump the spinach in the boiling water, pressing the leaves down. Allow to cook for no more than a minute after the water boils again.
- Drain the spinach leaves. Douse under the tap to cool. Squeeze to remove the excess water.
- If you have less than a cup of spinach leaves at this point, you will need to use less sour cream and cream cheese. The measurements recommended above are good for a cup of boiled and squeezed spinach leaves.
- Put the spinach, roasted bell pepper, onion, sour cream and cream cheese in the food processor or blender. Process until smooth but with still discernible bits of leaves.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Stir in the lemon or lime juice.
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne powder and sugar — the amounts depending on the balance that you prefer. Mix. Adjust the seasonings some more, if needed.
- Chill until needed.
Complete the dish
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water.
- While the pasta cooks, fry the bacon in a non-stick frying pan.
- When the bacon is nicely browned, turn off the heat. Add two tablespoons spinach cream sauce to the still hot pan. Stir.
- Drain the pasta and dump into the bacon-spinach sauce mixture. Toss. Serve.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!