Italian Sausage Pasta
Cooked with homemade sausage mix brimming with herbs and spices, this Italian sausage pasta dish is perfect for a summer lunch in the garden.Italian sausage can be bought at meat delis but, if you have the time and are up for the little extra work, there’s nothing like mixing your own sausage meat. It’s easy. Just mix ground meat with seasonings and spices and allow to marinate overnight in the fridge. For this recipe, I followed Emeril Lagasse’s recipe for homemade mild Italian sausage but used more garlic and minus the ground anise, red wine and casings.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ kilogram Italian sausage meat
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 2 plump tomatoes diced
- 1 large onion diced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup pureed fresh tomatoes
- pinch oregano
- pinch sugar for balance
- cooked pasta any shape, undercooked by about five minutes
- chopped parsley to garnish
- chiffonaded basil to garnish
- grated Parmesan to garnish
Save on Pinterest
- Heat the olive oil in a pan.
- Add the sausage meat and brown.
- Throw in the bell peppers, diced tomatoes and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the tomato puree and sprinkle in the oregano. Stir. Taste. Add more salt and pepper, as needed, and a bit of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta, stir and continue simmering, covered, for another five minutes or until the pasta is al dente and has soaked up most of the sauce.
- Divide the cooked pasta among three to four bowls, sprinkle with parsley, basil and grated Parmesan. Serve immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!