Hot Cocoa with Salted Caramel
Make a cup of hot cocoa, stir in salted caramel (recipe provided), top with whipped cream and drizzle in more salted caramel. Wicked!For best results, use double cream to make the salted caramel.
For the salted caramel
- 1 cup light brown sugar (coco sugar works well too)
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 generous pinches salt
- 1 cup double cream
To make the drink
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder unsweetened
Make the salted caramel
- Put the sugar, butter and honey in a pan and set over medium heat. Let the sugar melt without stirring. You may swirl the pan though to help the process along (see notes after the recipe).
- When the sugar has melted, pour in the cream. You may stir using a wooden spoon (a metal spoon will cause a reaction that, again, will result in the formation of crystals).
- Continue cooking just until bubbly.
- Pour the salted caramel into a wide-mouthed bottle or jar, cover loosely and cool.
Make the cocoa drink
- Dissolve the cocoa powder in ¾ cup hot water.
- Pour ¼ cup salted caramel into the cocoa and stir well to blend.
- Top the hot drink with whipped cream.
- Using a spoon, drizzle more salted caramel directly on the whipped cream.
- Drink while hot!
Save on Pinterest
Why no stirring? Because if you disturb the sugar while caramelizing, crystals will form and you won’t have a smooth sauce.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!