Apple and Chicken Salad
Inspired by Waldorf salad which was originally a meatless dish, this apple and chicken salad includes celery and walnuts. Toss with mayo and serve on a bed of lettuce.
- 2 dessert apples you may use a combination of dssert and cooking apples, peeled or not
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- seasoned and cooked meat from one chicken breast (mine was boiled but you can try grilled or broiled)
- 1 to 2 stalks celery
- 100 grams walnuts
- ¼ to ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- lettuce to serve
- Core the apples and cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Toss with the lemon juice.
- Cut the chicken meat into strips about ¾-inch wide. Cut the strips horizontally to get ¾-inch cubed pieces.
- Toss the walnuts in a hot oil-free pan until glistening with its own oil. Cool slightly and coarsely chop.
- Cut the celery stalks horizontally into half-inch slices.
- Toss everything together with ¼ cup of mayonnaise. If the salad appears too dry, add more mayonnaise.
- Taste. Depending on how well seasoned the chicken is, you many need to add salt.
- Chill for a few hours before serving the apple and chicken salad on a bed of lettuce.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.