Shrimp and Squid Rice a la Paella
With no complicated preparation and cooked on the stovetop (oven not necessary, trust me), this shrimp and squid rice a la paella was made with frozen seafood. Why is it a la paella? Because it's not traditional paella. No saffron, among other things. Instead, a mixture of paprika and turmeric were used to add color, flavor and aroma to the rice.
- 1 ½ cups rice (see notes after the recipe)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika sweet or smoked, both will work
- 1 ½ teaspoons turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 2 to 2 ½ cups broth (see notes after the recipe)
- 250 grams frozen shelled and deveined shrimps thawed
- 200 grams frozen squid rings thawed
- 1 bell pepper julienned
- ½ cup sweet peas thawed if frozen
- Place the rice in a container and pour in enough water so that the water surface is at least two inches above the rice. Cover loosely and leave the rice to soak for 12 hours in the fridge.
- Drain the rice.
- In a thick-bottomed frying pan, heat the olive oil.
- Saute the onion slices until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, paprika and turmeric. Continue sauteeing for another minute.
- Stir in the drained rice.
- Pour in enough broth to cover the rice. If the broth is unseasoned, add salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and let the rice absorb the broth. Check the rice after ten minutes. If still too undercooked and the broth has dried up, add another quarter cup of broth.
- When the rice is almost done and very little broth is left, spread the shrimps, squid rings, bell pepper and green peas over the rice.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the seafood and vegetables.
- Cover the pan and continue cooking until the rice, shrimps and squid rings are done.
- Squeeze a lemon over the shrimp and squid rice before serving.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.