Fish, Shrimps and Chips
Fish fillets and whole shelled shrimps are dipped in batter made with milk, herbs and spices, fried until crisp, and served with fried potatoes and dipping sauces.
- ½ kilogram fish fillet (any firm fleshy fish) cut into serving-size pieces
- ½ kilogram large shrimps peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- cooking oil for deep frying
For the batter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- Italian seasoning oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder and salt
- cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- French-fried potatoes
- your preferred dip
Save on Pinterest
Prep the fish and shrimps
- Wipe the cleaned fish and shrimps with paper towels. Toss with about a teaspoonful of salt and half a teaspoonful of pepper.
- Lightly dredge each piece of fish and shrimp in flour and shake off the excess.
- Start heating the oil in a frying pan.
Make the batter
- Mix the flour and cornstarch with about 3/4 cup of water.
- Add the Italian seasoning, pepper and cayenne powder. As a guide, start with a tablespoon of Italian seasoning and half a teaspoon each of pepper and cayenne.
- Add enough milk to make a thick but pourable paste.
- Stir in the Sriracha.
- Taste. Adjust the amount of salt, if needed. If you want a stronger herb flavor, add more Italian seasoning. If you want the batter to be really hot, add more cayenne powder.
Fry the fish and shrimps
- Dip each piece of fish in batter and let the excess drip off. Carefully slide into the pan with hot oil. Do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Cook the fish fillets until crisp.
- Dip each shrimp in batter and let the excess drip off. Carefully slide into the pan with hot oil. Do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Cook the shrimps until crisp.
Serve the fish, shrimps and chips
- Arrange the fish and shrimps on a platter, and place the fried potatoes on the side. Serve with your preferred dip.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!