Creamy Lemon Butter Chicken
One skillet is all you need to cook this garlicky creamy lemon butter chicken with fresh mushrooms and tarragon. A sure way to brighten up gloomy nights with its silky sauce and refreshing citrusy aroma. It's just so delicious you’ll want to make it again and again. A home cook’s dream recipe, definitely.
- 6 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 150 grams button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 sprig tarragon leaves only, or ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup cream
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ to ¾ cup milk
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Wipe the chicken thighs with paper towels. You want them dry so they’ll brown better. Rub with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan. Add the chicken thighs in a single layer, skin side down. Cook over high heat until the skins are nicely browned. Flip to brown the opposite side.
- Scoop out the chicken thighs and transfer to a plate. Keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the frying pan. Over medium heat, saute the garlic until just starting to brown (the smell will whet your appetite).
- Add the mushrooms and cook for about a minute.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Add the tarragon.
- Pour in the lemon juice and cream.
- Add the lemon zest. Stir.
- Taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Set the stove to the lowest setting. Cover the pan and braise the chicken thighs for 10 to 15 minutes (they are already partially cooked).
- The cream would have curdled at this point and the dish may not look too pretty. Don't worry. That's what the milk is for. Pour in the milk and stir. Start with half a cup. The sauce should start to look silky. If it's still too thick for you, add another quarter cup of milk. Once the sauce is bubbly, turn off the heat.
- Taste once more and adjust the seasonings. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Serve the creamy lemon butter chicken over rice or pasta, or with crusty bread.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.