Beef and Vegetable Rolls
Inspired by a dish prepared by a South African chef Siba Mtongana, host of Siba’s Table on the Cooking Channel, I used soy sauce, honey, ginger and Sriracha for my beef and vegetable rolls to given them Asian flavors.
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Trim the green beans by cutting off the tops and pulling off the strings on the sides, if there are any.
- Peel the carrot and cut into sticks about 1/4-inch wide and about as long as the green beans.
- Take 3 to 4 strips of beef and, on your work surface, arrange them in a slightly overlapping fashion.
- Place 4 to 5 green beans and 4 to 5 carrot strips near one end of the beef. Roll as tightly as you can to make sure that the vegetables don’t fall out when you move the parcel around. Repeat until all the vegetables have been wrapped.
- In a measuring bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wide frying pan. Arrange the meat-and-veggie parcels in a single layer in the hot oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Cook the beef over high heat, giving the parcels quarter turns for even browning.
- Pour in the sauce. Add two tablespoons water. Swirl the pan around a few times to distribute the liquid.
- Turn down the heat to low. Cover the pan. Let the meat-and-veggie parcels cook in the steam for about five minutes.
- Remove the cover of the pan. Turn up the heat to medium. Continue cooking the meat-and-veggie parcels, turning them around, until the sauce is thick and sticky and coats the beef well.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on the beef and vegetable rolls.
- Serve your beef and vegetable rolls as an appetizer or pair with rice as a main dish.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.