Spinach and Cheese Muffins
Savory breakfast muffins can be meatless and still be delicious.The muffins are made with with a combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. The greens are spinach and scallions. I used two kinds of cheese — cheddar for sharpness and pepper Jack for bite. You can always change the ratio of the two flours, you can use other green leafy vegetables and other kinds of cheese will work too.
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup spinach blanched, squeezed and finely chopped
- ¾ cup finely sliced scallions
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 125 grams sharp cheddar cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 125 grams Pepper Jack cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup full-cream milk
- 2 large eggs
Save on Pinterest
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cups.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the scallions and spinach. Cook, stirring, for about a minute. Cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the two flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar. Throw in the cubed cheeses and toss to coat each piece with flour.
- In another mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs and milk.
- Take cooled spinach mixture and stir into the flour mixture. Make sure to scrape all the butter from the pan and into the flour.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened, about 12 turns. Overmixing muffin batter results in tough muffins.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin holes with the batter, about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted at the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for five minutes. Transfer to a rack.
- These muffins are best served while warm and the cheeses are still soft.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!