Spicy Broccoli and Cheese Muffins
Creamy cheese, subtle heat from the chilis AND a light sweetness that brings the heat and creaminess together even more wonderfully. Add to that the surprising texture and flavor of the broccoli florets and you have one heck of a muffin. So good, you’ll want to eat more than one with your morning coffee. In fact, my daughter, Sam, looked disappointed that there were only six of them. She preferred twice as many.
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 bird’s eye chilies
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup cream
- 1 large egg
- 125 grams mozzarella cheese cubed
- Heat the butter in a frying pan. Saute the broccoli and chilies with the salt for about half a minute. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line six holes of a muffin pan with paper cups.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the cream and egg just until combined. Stir in the cooled broccoli with the melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened, about ten strokes. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for five minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for another five minutes.
- Best served while still hot and the cheese is soft and gooey.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.