Pepperoni and Cheese French Toast Roll-ups
Served warm, the cheese is soft and gooey and every bite bursts with the mixed flavors of the pepperoni and cheese.That's French toast? Bread dipped in egg and fried is French toast. Does it have to be pepperoni? No, it can be ham, salami, bologna… any thinly sliced, pliable and highly seasoned meat will be good for making these roll-ups.And the cheese? The cheese has to be a type that melts well. Otherwise, you won’t get the gooey effect. Note, too, that if your meat is very salty, you might want to balance that with with a not-too-salty cheese. I’ll leave it to you to decide what meat and cheese combination to use.
- ¼ cup butter or cooking oil, for frying
- 2 slices white loaf bread
- 6 slices pepperoni
- 2 thick strips of cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
Save on Pinterest
- Set the stove to medium heat. Start heating the butter or cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Cut off the crusts of the bread slices. Reserve the crusts for another use (like making bread pudding). Flatten the bread slices with a rolling pin. You can’t skip this part; if you do, the bread won’t be pliable enough to fill and roll.
- Lay three slices of pepperoni, in slightly overlapping fashion, on each slice of bread. Place a cheese strip on one side. Roll up the bread as tightly as you can without squishing the cheese inside.
- Dip the rolled bread slices in egg then fry in hot butter or oil, rolling them around for even browning.
- Drain the bread rolls on paper towels. As soon as they can be handled, cut into slices about an inch and a half to expose the delicious filling of pepperoni and cheese.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!