Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
There's more than just cheese in these grilled cheese sandwiches. The bread is spread with freshly-made basil and sun-dried tomato pesto before the cheese slices are piled on.
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 12 basil leaves more if they are small
- ½ teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- juice of a quarter of a lemon
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bread whatever variety you like
- generous slices of cheese whatever kind you like (I used mozzarella)
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes, basil, garlic, pepper and salt in a food processor or chopper.
- Pour in the lemon juice and olive oil. Process as finely or as coarsely as you like. Taste, add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Divide the mixture into two portions and spread each portion on a slice of bread.
- Arrange the cheese slices on top of the sun-dried tomato and basil pesto and cover with another slice of bread.
- Grill (toast, actually) on a skillet. No need to add oil, seriously. If you want to make the sandwiches to be really compact (i.e., make the cheese really stick to the bread), place something heavy like a plate on top of the sandwiches to weigh them down. Two minutes on each side over medium heat should be enough time to toast the bread and melt the cheese.
- You can serve the sandwiches whole or you can halve them. You can serve them by themselves or with a soup.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.