Cucumber and Salami Sandwiches
Thin slices of cucumber and salami. Homemade mayonnaise made with whole grain mustard. White bread, crusts cut off. Sandwich size? Mini. So dainty. And sexy. There’s something so appealing about picking up a small piece of bread and munching on it. The act itself is so much more beguiling than watching someone bite into an oversized sandwich with sauces and condiments dripping down his or her chin.Perfect for breakfast or snack.
- 4 slices white loaf bread
- 4 very thin slices good-quality salami
- ½ cucumber peeled (see notes after the recipe) and sliced paper-thin
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- Cut off the crusts of the bread.
- Spread two slices with mayonnaise.
- Cut the salami into halves.
- Arrange two pieces on the bread so that the cut sides are parallel to the “near” and “far” edges.
- Lay two more pieces of salami on the bread, this time, the cut sides parallel to the side edges. With this kind of arrangement, when you cut each sandwich into four smaller pieces, there will be salami peaking through all the edges.
- Start piling on the cucumber slices. I think I made three of four layers.
- Cover with the two remaining slices of bread.
- Cut each sandwich into quarters.
- Serve, savor and enjoy.
Some cooks like to use a fork to rake through the skin of the cucumber which produces an attractive pattern. Nice trick for cucumbers with fine thin skins. If the skins are thick, just peel and discard.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.