Breakfast Crepes with Apples and Salted Caramel
Crepes, or very thin pancakes, are not commonly associated with breakfast. More often, crepes are served for dessert. I made these crepes with caramelized apples and cinnamon for breakfast but I know that they’ll be just as good if I serve them for dessert.If you make these crepes and decide to serve them for dessert, you may want to top the apple filling with whipped cream first before folding over the crepe.For best results, use tart green apples so that they don’t turn watery when cooked in the pan. Watery filling will make the crepes soggy.
For the crepes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups full-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
For the filling
- 2 green apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- few pinches ground cinnamon
For the garnish
- salted caramel homemade or store-bought
- Make the crepe batter. In a bowl, lightly beat the egg with the milk. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling. Peel the apples, cut off the cores and slice thinly.
- Caramelize the apples. Melt one tablespoon butter in a pan. Add the apples and sugar. Cook over medium heat until the sugar starts to melt.
- Stir and continue cooking, flipping the apples slices once in a while, until they are lightly browned.
- Rinse out the frying pan (or use a new clean one) and cook the crepes. Pour just enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan. I used 1/2 cup batter for a 10-inch pan and I was able to make five crepes (my apple slices were enough for only two crepes through). Remember to tilt the pan in all directions immediately after pouring in the batter to allow it to spread evenly.
- Place a pancake on a plate. Fill half with the apple slices. Sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon powder.
- Folder over the empty half of the crepe.
- Drizzle with salted caramel and serve.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.