The ever popular breakfast combo of sausage and eggs gets a new twist in this delicious portable breakfast. Lightly fried sausages, cheese omelet, crispy grated potatoes, alfalfa sprouts and lettuce are rolled in tortillas to make these delicious and filling breakfast burritos.
- cooking oil
- 300 grams spicy sausages Andouille or something similar
For the crispy potatoes
- 1 cup grated potatoes
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the omelet
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large eggs beaten until frothy
- 100 grams mozzarella or other cheese or cheeses that melt well, shredded or thinly sliced
To complete the burritos
- 3 large flour tortillas
- alfalfa sprouts as much as you like
- lettuce as much as you like
- Lightly spray a frying pan with oil. Spread the sausages in the pan and fry over low heat, turning occasionally, until done.
- While the sausages fry, in another frying pan, start cooking the potatoes by melting the butter.
- Squeeze out as much water as you can from the potatoes then spread in a thin even layer on the bottom of the pan where you melted the butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook the potatoes over low heat until the underside is browned. Flip to brown the opposite side.
- Melt the butter in a third frying pan. Pour in the beaten eggs and cook over low heat until set but still wet at the center. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cheese on one half of the eggs then fold the other half over the cheese. Cook just until the cheese melts.
- Lightly toast the flour tortillas on both sides.
- Place a flour tortilla on your work surface. Lay lettuce on it followed by alfalfa sprouts, a third of the omelet, a third of the crispy potatoes and one sausage (split the sausage vertically if large).
- Roll the tortilla, tucking in the sides, until the fillings are enclosed.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Serve the breakfast burritos immediately.
Although only basic cooking techniques and tools are involved, because there are several components, you should be willing to put in a little more effort than usual and be prepared to wash three frying pans. Three? A tip: If you want to cut the cooking time, I suggest using three frying pans. While the sausages fry in one over low fire, cook the omelet in the second and potatoes in the third pan. By the time the sausages are done, everything else would be too and all that remains for you to do is to assemble the burritos. What sausages are best for these breakfast burritos? Spicy ones. Andouille, if you can get your hands on them. What I won’t recommend are sweet sausages, hotdogs, frankfurters or canned Vienna sausages. And the cheese the goes into the omelet? Mozzarella or any cheese that melts well. There is no law against combining two or more sausages either. And the lettuce? Anything but iceberg. Seriously. We like Romaine at home but butter lettuce should be good too. If you want bolder flavors, try arugula.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.