Bacon and Asparagus All-day Breakfast Muffins
Who wouldn’t prefer savory muffins over boxed cereals eaten haphazardly in a mad dash to get to the car and roar through the rush hour traffic to get to the rat race called work?Rainy or sunny, there's nothing like warm muffins and coffee to start the day. These bacon and asparagus all-day breakfast muffins have cottage cheese in them too!
- 125 grams belly bacon chopped
- ⅓ cup baby asparagus finely sliced
- ⅓ cup garlic chives finely sliced
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅕ cup full-fat milk
- ⅓ cup cottage cheese well drained
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line a six-hole muffin pan with paper cups.
- Heat a frying pan on the stovetop and add the chopped bacon. Cook until lightly browned. Add the asparagus and spring garlic. Cook, stirring often, for about half a minute.
- Turn off the stove. Pour off the excess bacon fat. Add the butter to the pan and swirl until melted. Set aside to cool a bit.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the egg and milk.
- Add the cheese to the flour mixture, breaking up large lumps and toss to coat the cheese with flour.
- Add the bacon mixture and the milk-egg mixture to the flour-cheese mixture. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened, no more than a dozen turns.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 350F and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the muffins while still warm.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.